Introduction / History
Tottiyan Naicker is a subgroup of the broader Ambalavasi cluster of Hindu castes.
Where Are they Located?
This Hindu community lives in southern Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Ambalavasi groups like the Tottiyan Naicker serve in Hindu temples. They have various tasks. Some involve supplying flowers, staging dramas, musical performances, or administration. Since their lives are so closely associated with the Hindu religious system, it will be very difficult for them to give Jesus Christ their allegiance.
What Are Their Beliefs?
The Ambalavasi Tottiyan Naicker people practice Hinduism, the ancient religion of India. There are many forms of Hinduism, each with its own deities and beliefs. At the popular level, Hindus worship and serve the gods whom they believe will give them favor and protection, much like a business transaction. They do not have a personal or familial relationship with their gods like Christians or Jews. These Hindus believe that in a long run, by performing rituals and good works, they have the chance to attain moksha or freedom from the endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. Other Hindus are far more philosophical in their spiritual practices. Most of these are part of higher castes, especially the Brahmans.
What Are Their Needs?
The main yearly holidays which almost all Hindu communities celebrate are Holi, the festival of colors and the start of spring / Diwali, the festival of lights / Navratri, the celebration of autumn / and Rama Navami, Rama’s birthday.
All of the Ambalavasi peoples need to understand and respond to the worth of Jesus Christ, the only sin-bearing, loving savior.
* Scripture Prayers for the Ambalavasi Tottiyan Naicker in India.
* Pray for Ambalavasi Tottiyan Naicker culture to be renewed and enhanced by a work of the Holy Spirit and shaped into a God-centered and God-honoring mold.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to move among Ambalavasi family and community leaders to seek His face and enjoy His blessings.
* Pray for the Lord to thrust out workers who will be compelled to nurture a disciple making movement among the Ambalavasi Tottiyan Naicker people.
* Pray that soon the Ambalavasi people will have faith that will lead them to live honorable lives that will draw others to the Savior.