Their name comes from the word Moger meaning to dive because they traditionally earned their living by diving for fish, conch shells, pearls, and other valuable things of the sea.
The Mukkuvan people live mainly in India’s four southern states, though some live in the northern and eastern provinces of Sri Lanka. The ones in India speak Malayalam, and those in Sri Lanka speak Tamil.
Though some of the Mukkavan people are still divers, some now farm, and many of these are landlords. They live by their own Mukkavan laws, which apply to marriage and property matters.
Though we are praying for the Hindus among them, there are also a good-sized Muslim and Roman Catholic community among them as well.
This people group needs to experience the blessings of Jesus Christ by allowing their communities to become living sacrifices to Him.
* Scripture Prayers for the Mukkuvan (Hindu traditions) in Sri Lanka.
* Pray for gospel workers to catch a vision for reaching the Mukkavan people in Sri Lanka for Jesus and that in God’s sovereign timing their hearts would be open and ready to follow Him.
* Pray for Jesus movements to bless extended Mukkavan families so the gospel will spread rapidly among this people group.
* Pray for the spiritual lives of the Mukkavan people to become fruitful as they follow Christ.
* Pray for the lives and culture of the Mukkavan people to evidence the rule and reign of the Kingdom of God as they open to the gospel, and for the beauty of Jesus to be seen in them.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|People Name General||Mukkuvan (Hindu traditions)|
|People Name in Country||Mukkuvan (Hindu traditions)|
|Population this Country||1,100|
|Population all Countries||159,000|
|Progress Scale||1 ●|
|Frontier People Group||No|
|Pioneer Workers Needed||1|
|Alternate Names||Moonillikar; Mugayan; Muguyan; Mukkuvar; Munalakkarar; Nalalakkarar; Puislan; Putia Islam; Putiya Islami; मुक्कूवन (हिंदू ट्रेडिशन्स)|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||30 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Total States on file||3|
|Specialized Website||South Asia Peoples|
Primary Language: Tamil
|Bible Translation ▲||Status (Years)|
|Bible-New Testament||Yes (1715-1998)|
|Possible Print Bibles|
|Forum Bible Agencies|
|National Bible Societies|
|World Bible Finder|
|Resource Type ▲||Resource Name|
|Audio Recordings||Audio Bible teaching (GRN)|
|Audio Recordings||Father's Love Letter|
|Audio Recordings||General Ministry Resources|
|Audio Recordings||Online New Testament (FCBH)|
|Audio Recordings||Online Scripture (Talking Bibles)|
|Audio Recordings||Oral Bible|
|Audio Recordings||Story of Jesus audio (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||Finding Peace|
|Film / Video||Following Jesus (India, JF Project)|
|Film / Video||God's Story Video|
|Film / Video||Indigitube.tv Video / Animation|
|Film / Video||Jesus Film: view in Tamil|
|Film / Video||Magdalena (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||My Last Day (Jesus Film Project Anime)|
|Film / Video||Story of Jesus for Children (JF Project)|
|Film / Video||The Prophets' Story|
|General||Comprehensive list of Tamil Resources|
|General||God's Simple Plan|
|General||Gospel website in this language|