Introduction / History
Kadaiyan means “low” or “least.” These unreached people are historically lime burners (a process which produces “quick lime” used in agriculture and construction.
Where Are they Located?
The Hindu Kadaiyan people live in the southern tip of India and Sri Lanka.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Kadaiyan people work in agriculture, pearl hunting, and lime burning to support themselves.
What Are Their Beliefs?
The Kadaiyan people practice Hinduism, the ancient religion of India. They worship and serve the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Hindus believe that by performing rituals and good works that they will attain moksha or freedom from the endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. They visit Hindu temples and offer prayers, food, flowers, and incense to their gods in hopes of gaining protection and benefits. They do not have a personal or familial relationship with their gods like Christians or Jews. There are many forms of Hinduism, each with its own deities and beliefs.
What Are Their Needs?
The main yearly holidays of the Kadaiyan people are Holi, the festival of colors and the start of spring / Diwali, the festival of lights / Navratri, the celebration of autumn / and Rama Navami, Rama’s birthday.
Although audio, visual, and written Bible resources are available in Tamil, their spoken language, they remain unreached and unengaged with the truth of the gospel. Their greatest need is to understand the infinite love of Almighty God for them, and his provisional payment of the penalty for their sins. They need the light of Jesus Christ in their community.
* Scripture Prayers for the Kadaiyar in India.
* Pray for the Kadaiyan culture to be renewed and enhanced by a work of the Holy Spirit and shaped into a God-centered and God-honoring mold.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to move among Kadaiyan family and community leaders to seek His face and enjoy His blessings.
* Pray for the Lord to thrust out workers who will be compelled to nurture a disciple making movement among the Kadaiyan people.
* Pray that soon the Kadaiyan people will have faith that will lead them to live honorable lives that will draw others to the Savior.