Introduction / History
In Pakistan a name carries much more than a sound; it has a meaning. For example, to be known as a "Faqir" is to be known for being poor. This is a name and a condition that its bearers are well aware of. Faqir is also a caste of Muslim magicians. This can quite often be a strike against them, as they are despised and discriminated against because they practice magic.
Where Are they Located?
Yet it can also be a strike for them as well. "Faqir" also refers to being self-sufficient and having no need except a need for God. They are Muslim ascetics who practice severe self-discipline. This gives them status in the eyes of many.
Though they have a small population, the Faqirs are spread out throughout Pakistan's Punjab and Sindhi Provinces.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Poverty and austerity define their lifestyle.
What Are Their Beliefs?
The Faqirs are Muslim; they have blended in many Hindu beliefs, making it a significant challenge for those who would bring the gospel of Jesus to them. Many are also part of Muslim Sufi orders, which are noted for their emphasis on emotion.
What Are Their Needs?
These people, who know they need nothing but God, need to know the true God. They have a distinct advantage over other Muslims in finding truth in that they at least have a partial understanding of what it takes to rely on God.
* Scripture Prayers for the Faqir in Pakistan.
* Pray that their poverty, both physical and spiritual, would cease to define the Faqir people, and that they will instead by defined by their abundant hope and joy in Christ.
* Pray that God will give them a heart that will strive for physical and spiritual improvement so that they will be open to embracing the Word of God.
* Pray that the church will take seriously the needs of the Faqirs in Pakistan by committing themselves to impacting them with the gospel.
* Pray for a disciple-making movement to emerge among Faqirs in Pakistan.