Introduction / History
Because of their tribal background, the Thanda Pulayan people are looked upon as inferior by other Hindu communities. They have the status of Dalits, which is beneath the four Hindu castes. There are a couple of Pulayan subcastes, one of which is the Thanda.
Where Are they Located?
There are Pulayan peoples in various parts of southern India, but the Thanda subcaste lives only in Kerala state.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Along with most other Dalits, the Pulayans are landless. Many are engaged as agricultural laborers, serving landowners without significant pay.
What Are Their Beliefs?
The Pulayans are known to be talented craftsmen and basket makers. They also have a tradition of oral storytelling and folk songs. When they are not working to please their landlords, they enjoy singing and dancing to the music of drums and stringed instruments.
The Pulayans are enslaved by a host of vindictive gods, including Mankombu Bhagwati, Siva, Vishnu, and Ayyappa. They look to these gods for protection and blessings.
What Are Their Needs?
Like any people group that is deemed inferior by their neighbors, the Thanda Pulayan need to understand their position before Almighty God. They need to experience His acceptance and lovingkindness in order to thrive as a people.
* Scripture Prayers for the Pulayan Thanda in India.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to give the Thanda Pulayan people teachable and understanding hearts.
* Pray that a strong movement of the Holy Spirit will bring entire Thanda Pulayan families into a rich experience of God's blessing.
* Pray for Thanda Pulayan families to be drawn by the Holy Spirit to seek forgiveness, and to understand the adequacy of Christ's work on the cross.
* Pray for teams of believers to do sustained, focused prayer for the Lord to open the hearts of Thanda Pulayan family leaders to experience God's blessing through a movement of family-based discovery Bible studies.