Introduction / History
This is a Scheduled Caste, meaning that they have low status. They are associated with the Bazigar caste of jugglers, but the two communities do not intermarry. Traditionally the Nats were a community of dancers, singers and acrobats. Various stories about their background lists them as coming from Brahmans, Rajputs, and even low castes. These stories contradict one another.
Where Are they Located?
Most of these people are Hindu, but the Sikhs live in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab states.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Today, some of the Nats in Punjab are still dancers, but they are more likely to be poor, landless farm workers. In different states they have different status and duties.
What Are Their Beliefs?
Though most Nat people are Hindu, some practice Sikhism. Sikhism originated from a 15th century teacher named Guru Nanak Dev as a reform movement. He rejected the Hindu-based caste system, taught that all people were equal and that all have equal access to God. The Sikh God is formless, without gender and can be found in everyone. One gets closer to God by living a good life and by practicing charity. Like Hindus, Sikhs believe in reincarnation and the law of karma; you reap what you sow in your previous life. Like Muslims, the Sikhs worship only one God. Sikh teaching mandates that a person not cut his or her hair. They worship their holy book, the Granth Sahib, which is a collection of hymns.
What Are Their Needs?
There are roughly the same number of Sikhs as there are Jews in the world, but Sikhs are most concentrated in Punjab, their homeland. However, you will find smaller numbers of Sikhs all over the world.
The Nat people, be they Hindu or Sikh, need to put their trust in Jesus Christ, the only one who can offer them abundant life to the full.
* Scripture Prayers for the Nat (Sikh traditions) in India.
* Pray for the Nat culture to be renewed and enhanced by a work of the Holy Spirit and shaped into a God-centered and God-honoring mold.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to move among Nat family and community leaders to seek His face and enjoy His blessings.
* Pray for the Lord to thrust out workers who will be compelled to nurture a disciple making movement among the Nat people.
* Pray that soon the Nat people will have faith that will lead them to live honorable lives that will draw others to the Savior.