Introduction / History
Though the centuries the Thakuri people have held high status both in Nepal and in India. There were Thakuri kings in Nepal as early as the 600s.
Where Are they Located?
Though opinions differ, people have associated the Thakuris with Rajputs and Chhetris, both forward caste groups in the Hindu hierarchy. In order to preserve their wealth and power, they married near cousins for centuries.
Most Thakuri people live in western Nepal and India's northeastern states. There are some scattered Thakuris in other parts of India as well.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Today many Thakuris are landlords who control the agricultural means of production. Those who live at lower elevations make a subsistence living. Speaking to other Thakuris, one blogger said that they need to adapt to today's world by working harder. He regards his people as lazy, prone to anger, and willing to spend their fast-depleting wealth on parties. Perhaps he is not giving his people enough credit; the Thakuris still hold many high positions even when they migrate to other parts of the world like England.
What Are Their Beliefs?
The Thakuri people practice Hinduism, the ancient religion of India. Some worship and serve the gods they believe will benefit them. They visit Hindu temples and offer prayers, food, flowers, and incense to their gods in hopes of gaining protection and benefits. They do not have a personal or familial relationship with their gods like Christians or Jews. There are many forms of Hinduism, each with its own deities and beliefs. Forward caste Hindus like the Thakuris often have a more philosophical bent to their form of Hinduism.
What Are Their Needs?
The main yearly holidays of the Thakuri people are Holi, the festival of colors and the start of spring / Diwali, the festival of lights / Navratri, the celebration of autumn / and Rama Navami, Rama’s birthday.
Like other Hindus, the Thakuri need to find their way to the only Spirit Being who is both loving and sovereign over all. Someone needs to show these high caste Hindus the way to the cross.
* Scripture Prayers for the Thakuri in India.
* Pray for gospel workers to catch a vision for reaching the Thakuri people for Jesus and that in God’s sovereign timing their hearts would be open and ready to follow Him.
* Pray for Jesus movements to bless extended Thakuri families so the gospel will spread rapidly among this people group.
* Pray for the spiritual lives of the Thakuri people to become fruitful as they follow Christ.
* Pray for the lives and culture of the Thakuri people to evidence the rule and reign of the Kingdom of God as they open to the gospel, and for the beauty of Jesus to be seen in them.