Introduction / History
Traditionally the Shorgar people manufactured fireworks. Their Muslim ancestors came from Afghanistan and made fireworks for celebrations in Jaipur and other parts of northwestern India. Today they can be either Muslim or Hindu.
Where Are they Located?
The Hindu Shorgar people live in India’s Punjab state.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Traditionally their trade was making firecrackers, but now they are in need of a different vocation due to competition.
What Are Their Beliefs?
Though there are Muslims among them, some Shorgar people practice Hinduism, the ancient religion of India. They worship and serve the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Hindus believe that by performing rituals and good works that they will attain moksha or freedom from the endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. They visit Hindu temples and offer prayers, food, flowers, and incense to their gods in hopes of gaining protection and benefits. They do not have a personal or familial relationship with their gods like Christians or Jews. There are many forms of Hinduism, each with its own deities and beliefs.
What Are Their Needs?
The Shorgar people are especially fond of Diwali, a festival where Hindus blow off firecrackers all night. It’s very good for business!
The Hindu Shorgar people need training in another vocation that will help them support their families.
* Scripture Prayers for the Shorgar (Hindu traditions) in India.
* Pray for gospel workers to catch a vision for reaching the Shorgar people for Jesus and that in God’s sovereign timing their hearts would be open and ready to follow Him.
* Pray for Jesus movements to bless extended Shorgar families so the gospel will spread rapidly among this people group.
* Pray for the spiritual lives of the Shorgar people to become fruitful as they follow Christ.
* Pray for the lives and culture of the Shorgar people to evidence the rule and reign of the Kingdom of God as they open to the gospel, and for the beauty of Jesus to be seen in them.