Introduction / History
The Kraals are an artisan community most noted for their abilities in making pottery.
Where Are they Located?
The Hindu Kraal people live in Jammu and Kashmir.
What Are Their Lives Like?
The Kraal people can't be identified by their dress; they dress like other peoples in Kashmir. They are noted for making pottery. They make earthenware products of all shapes and sizes depending on the needs of their customers. Most do not farm as well as make pottery. A privileged few either own their own businesses or work for the government. This community tends to get along well with others in Jammu and Kashmir.
What Are Their Beliefs?
They enjoy lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in their diet, especially leafy vegetables like spinach. They have other habits that are not as healthy; they smoke bedis and hookahs. The Kraal people drink a lot of salty tea.
Though sometimes they have "love marriages," most are decided by their elders. The husband's family pays for the bride, and she lives with his family. Shortly after the new husband and wife establish their own household. Most Kraal families are nuclear, though some live with extended families.
Though most are Muslims, there are Kraal people who practice Hinduism, the ancient religion of India. They worship and serve the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Hindus believe that by performing rituals and good works that they will attain moksha or freedom from the endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. They visit Hindu temples and offer prayers, food, flowers, and incense to their gods in hopes of gaining protection and benefits. They do not have a personal or familial relationship with their gods like Christians or Jews. There are many forms of Hinduism, each with its own deities and beliefs.
What Are Their Needs?
Like other people groups in unreached Jammu and Kashmir, the Kraal people need to have the chance to live peaceful lives submitted to Jesus Christ.
* Scripture Prayers for the Kraal in India.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to give the Kraal people teachable and understanding hearts.
* Pray that a strong movement of the Holy Spirit will bring entire Kraal families into a rich experience of God's blessing.
* Pray for Kraal families to be drawn by the Holy Spirit to seek forgiveness, and to understand the adequacy of Christ's work on the cross.
* Pray for teams of believers to do sustained, focused prayer for the Lord to open the hearts of Kraal family leaders to experience God's blessing through a movement of family-based discovery Bible studies.
People of India, vol XXV, K.S. Singh