The Shahseven are a sub-ethnic group of Azerbaijanis, living near the border between Azerbaijan and Iran. They are semi-nomadic, being primarily shepherds. Their name means "lover of the Shah" or "adherents of the Shah," in reference to the traditional king of Persia.
Most Shahseven people live in Iran, but there are some still residing in Azerbaijan.
As nomadic shepherds, their lives are very difficult by our standards. They must move their livestock to even find adequate water or grazing lands. Their diet is often restricted to what their livestock can provide; meat and milk. Semi-nomadic peoples are often viewed as rivals or as a nuisance by settled people groups.
Like most other people groups in Iran and Azerbaijan, the Shahsevens are Shi'ite Muslims.
Like other people groups that depend on livestock, the Shahsevan people need veterinarians to help take care of their livestock.
* Scripture Prayers for the Shahseven in Azerbaijan.
* Pray the Lord will grant the Shahseven people a growing desire to know Jesus Christ and to follow Him. Pray the Lord will open their spiritual eyes to see Jesus as He really is.
* Pray for mature Christians to be sent to disciple them in His ways.
* Pray for healthy livestock which can sustain the people.
* Pray for parents to understand the importance of providing good schooling for their children so that the next generation will be prepared for the rapid changes of the 21st century.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|Persecution Rank||50 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Primary Language||Azerbaijani, South (2,000 speakers)|
|Language Code||azb Ethnologue Listing|
|Language Written||Yes ScriptSource Listing|
Primary Language: Azerbaijani, South
|Bible Translation ▲||Status (Years)|
|Possible Print Bibles|
|Forum Bible Agencies|
|National Bible Societies|
|World Bible Finder|
|Resource Type ▲||Resource Name|
|Audio Recordings||Audio Bible teaching (GRN)|
|Audio Recordings||Network of Azerbaijani Partnerships|
|Audio Recordings||Online New Testament (FCBH)|
|Film / Video||Jesus Film: view in Azerbaijani, South|
|Film / Video||Magdalena (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||My Last Day (Jesus Film Project Anime)|
|Film / Video||The Prophets' Story|
|General||Got Questions Ministry|
|Text / Printed Matter||Azeri Scripture Resources|
|Text / Printed Matter||Bible: Comic Book Version (SuperBible)|
|Text / Printed Matter||Bible: Iranian Azeri Bible|
|Text / Printed Matter||Multi-Language Media|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 0.00 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|