Introduction / History
The term “salat” is derived from Shilavat, an ancient term for either a temple architect or a stone carver. They branched off from the Sompura Brahmin community. They are considered a Brahmin community; however, Sompura Brahmins do not accept them as such.
Where Are they Located?
The Salat Sompura community is mainly located in Gujarat, a state in western India. A smaller number are in Rajasthan, and an even smaller number live in England or the US.
What Are Their Lives Like?
The Sompura Salat community has specialized in masonry works, artistic carvings, and sculpting. Their work is much revered and sought after within India. Sompura Salat people are vegetarian, but they also avoid eating onions, garlic, white cucumbers, and lentils.
What Are Their Beliefs?
The Salat Sompura people practice Hinduism, the ancient religion of India. They worship and serve the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Hindus believe that by performing rituals and good works that they will attain moksha or freedom from the endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. They visit Hindu temples and offer prayers, food, flowers, and incense to their gods in hopes of gaining protection and benefits. They do not have a personal or familial relationship with their gods like Christians or Jews. There are many forms of Hinduism, each with its own deities and beliefs.
What Are Their Needs?
The main yearly holidays of the Salat Sompura people are Holi, the festival of colors and the start of spring / Diwali, the festival of lights / Navratri, the celebration of autumn / and Rama Navami, Rama’s birthday.
These very capable people have high status and they are noted for their abilities to design Hindu temples. Such a situation can easily produce pride, which is anathema to the God of creation. They need the humility to understand their proper place with the Almighty.
* Scripture Prayers for the Salat Sompura in India.
* Pray for gospel workers to catch a vision for reaching the Salat Sompura people for Jesus and that in God’s sovereign timing their hearts would be open and ready to follow Him.
* Pray for Jesus movements to bless extended Salat Sompura families so the gospel will spread rapidly among this people group.
* Pray for the spiritual lives of the Salat Sompura people to become fruitful as they follow Christ.
* Pray for the lives and culture of the Salat Sompura people to evidence the rule and reign of the Kingdom of God as they open to the gospel, and for the beauty of Jesus to be seen in them.