Traditionally the Afghan Pawinda were nomads who lived in Afghanistan in the summer and moved to Pakistan in the winter. They make their living through their livestock and by trading goods with the local people. They speak Central Pashto, one of the main languages of their area.
The Afghan Pawinda live either in Afghanistan or Pakistan.
The Pawinda of Afghanistan and Pakistan are viewed as gypsies and considered unimportant by many people in this region. They have no rights of settlement and must move through the area, staying only three days in one place at a time. They live in dangerous areas where everyone must protect themselves and their property; armed militias have infested the land.
Because of their location and nomadic lifestyle, the Pawinda are very difficult to reach with the gospel. It will take people willing to live an uncertain life, moving from place to place to reach them for Christ. However, Muslim missionaries have managed to reach these nomadic herders in the past. Will those who follow Christ take Him to those who now follow the teachings of Mohammed?
The Afghan Pawinda are Sunni Muslims. Islam is a central part of their identity, though they look to other “resources” for their daily needs. Those who are devout pray five times a day and fast during the month of Ramadan, just as they are taught to do. They believe their only chance of salvation comes from obedience to the laws spelled out in the Koran.
The Afghan Pawinda need the opportunity to have education, clean water and medical facilities for their people. They also need to experience the acceptance and love that will never come from their neighbors but will come from the King of kings if they only allow Him into their lives.
* Scripture Prayers for the Afghan Pawinda in Pakistan.
* Pray for gospel workers to catch a vision for reaching the Afghan Pawinda people for Jesus and that in God's sovereign timing their hearts would be open and ready to follow Him.
* Pray for Jesus movements to bless extended Pawinda families so the gospel will spread rapidly among this people group.
* Pray for the spiritual lives of the Pawinda people to become fruitful as they follow Christ.
* Pray for the lives and culture of the Pawinda people to evidence the rule and reign of the Kingdom of God as they open to the gospel, and for the beauty of Jesus to be seen in their families.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|People Name General||Afghan Pawinda|
|People Name in Country||Afghan Pawinda|
|Population this Country||1,800|
|Population all Countries||1,800|
|Progress Scale||1 ●|
|Frontier People Group||Yes|
|Pioneer Workers Needed||1|
|Alternate Names||आफ्गॅन पविन्दा|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||5 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Specialized Website||South Asia Peoples|