Gelao means "human beings" as well as "bamboo." The Gelao are thought to be descended from the ancient Liao race who established the Yelang Kingdom in Guizhou Province about 2,000 years ago. A folk tale tells how the king of Yelang was born from bamboo, so the whole group came to be called "bamboo." In the past, the Gelao practiced initiation rites for their young men, including tooth-breaking and hair-cutting rituals. The Gelao were once head-hunters and cannibals.
The Gelao peoples live either in China's Guizhou Province or northern Vietnam.
The White Gelao grow maize, wheat, potatoes, sorghum, millet, tobacco, and tea.
Like the other two Gelao peoples, the White Gelao worship their ancestors and hold to traditional animistic religion. They worship the spirit of the rice paddies, the spirit of burn over land, and the spirits that protect their livestock. At specific festivals the Gelao peoples make offerings to these spirits.
It might take bold believers with a special gift of faith to go to the White Gelao people and pray for their needs. This people group will need to see God at work in a powerful way to put their faith in Jesus Christ rather than the spirit world.
* Scripture Prayers for the Gelao, White in Vietnam.
* Ask for the Lord of the Harvest to send workers into this field to tell the White Gelao people that they have been specially created for a unique purpose: to know, love and worship Jesus Christ.
* Pray for the White Gelao people to have a strong spiritual hunger that will lead them to the Savior of all mankind.
* Pray for God to reveal His grace and love to the White Gelao people so that they will want Him as their savior.
* Pray for a strong discipling ministry that will transform Gelao communities in Vietnam into His likeness.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|Global Prayer Digest: 2006-07-23|
|People Name General||Gelao, White|
|People Name in Country||Gelao, White|
|Natural Name||White Gelao|
|Population this Country||200|
|Population all Countries||200|
|Progress Scale||1 ●|
|Frontier People Group||Yes|
|GSEC||1 (per PeopleGroups.org)|
|Pioneer Workers Needed||1|
|Alternate Names||Cờ Lao|
|Persecution Rank||19 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Location in Country||Ha Giang province, Yen Minh district, Pho La and Dong Van. Source: Ethnologue 2016|
|Primary Language||Duoluo (200 speakers)|
|Language Code||giw Ethnologue Listing|
|Primary Dialect||Gelao, White|
|Dialect Code||10153 Global Recordings Listing|
|Primary Religion:||Ethnic Religions|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 0.00 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|