The Balanta are fishermen, herders, and cultivators. They grow millet, rice, peanuts, cashews, and fruit for a cash crop. They love to celebrate traditional holidays. The Balanta live on the west coast of Africa though they originated in India, Egypt, and Ethiopia.
In this society God is believed to be far away. They try to reach him through spirits and sacrifices. Although Catholicism has been partially accepted, Islam is strong and practiced along with spirit worship.
* Scripture Prayers for the Balanta, Kentohe in Guinea.
* Pray for an indigenous church planting movement among the Balanta people.
* Ask God to break the ties of traditional spirit worship.
* Pray for God to use this very versatile people and make them see that believing on Jesus Christ is the only means of salvation.
* Pray that medical and educational needs will be met.
|Profile Source: West Africa Gateway|
|People Name General||Balanta, Kentohe|
|People Name in Country||Balanta, Kentohe|
|Progress Scale||2 ●|
|Frontier People Group||No|
|Pioneer Workers Needed|
|Alternate Names||Alante; Belanda; Belante; Brassa; Bulanda; Fora; South Balanta|
|Primary Language||Balanta-Kentohe (4,600 speakers)|
|Language Code||ble Ethnologue Listing|
|Language Written||Yes ScriptSource Listing|
Primary Language: Balanta-Kentohe
|Bible Translation ▲||Status (Years)|
|Bible-New Testament||Yes (2011)|
|Possible Print Bibles|
|Forum Bible Agencies|
|National Bible Societies|
|World Bible Finder|
|Resource Type ▲||Resource Name|
|Audio Recordings||Audio Bible teaching (GRN)|
|Film / Video||Jesus Film: view in Balanta-Kentohe|
|Primary Religion:||Ethnic Religions|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 1.80 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|