The Levant Arabs originally settled all over the Arabian Peninsula and later migrated to North Africa. Today, several hundred thousand Levant Arabs live along the northern edges of the Arabian Desert. They are spread from Israel to Kuwait and as far east as Iran.
"Levant" is a broad term that includes several groups of Arabs: Jordanian, Palestinian, Iraqi, Chaldean, and Syrian Arabs. The Levant Arabs have had a close association with Islam throughout their history; and today, all of them except for the Arabic Jewish Arabs are Muslims. Most Levant Arabs speak an Arabic language called Arabiya, with varying local dialects. Others speak an Arabic language known as Mashriqi.
Levant Arabs are among the peoples who have fled the fighting in Syria for Turkey in hopes of finding a peaceful home.
Syrian Arabs in Turkey are most likely to be found near the Syrian border.
The life of a refugee is very unhappy. Refugees have often lost just about everything, including family members. To a Syrian Muslim Arab, family is extremely important. When family members are either killed or missing, it is very traumatic for refugees.
Most Syrian Arabs are Sunni Muslims who are dedicated to the ways of Islam. There is a small minority that is part of traditional Christian groups.
Syrian Arabs in Turkey are seeking a safe home to work and raise their families. They need to live in a place where leaders are willing to bring peace and stability rather than rule by brute force like they are in Syria.
* Scripture Prayers for the Arab, Syrian in Turkey.
* Pray that in this time of civil strife and sorrow Syrian Arabs will seek and find the Servant King.
* Pray for help for Syrian refugees in Turkey so they can get the services they need to eventually find a place of flourishing.
* Ask the Lord to call people who are willing to reach out and share the love of Christ with Syrian Arabs.
* Pray that God will raise up faithful intercessors who will stand in the gap for the Syrian Arabs in Turkey.
* Pray that their traditional Muslim culture will soften, creating open doors for the gospel to be preached among them.
* Ask the Lord to raise up strong local churches among Syrian Arabs in Turkey.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|People Name General||Arab, Syrian|
|People Name in Country||Arab, Syrian|
|Progress Scale||1 ●|
|Frontier People Group||No|
|GSEC||1 (per PeopleGroups.org)|
|Pioneer Workers Needed||11|
|Alternate Names||Arab, Arab, Levantine, Lebanese Arab, Levantine Arab, Palestinian Arab, South Levantine, Syrian Arab|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||26 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Primary Language||Arabic, North Levantine Spoken (570,000 speakers)|
|Language Code||apc Ethnologue Listing|
|Language Written||Yes ScriptSource Listing|
Primary Language: Arabic, North Levantine Spoken
|Bible Translation ▲||Status (Years)|
|Possible Print Bibles|
|Forum Bible Agencies|
|National Bible Societies|
|World Bible Finder|
|Resource Type ▲||Resource Name|
|Audio Recordings||Arabic Bibles Online|
|Audio Recordings||Audio Bible teaching (GRN)|
|General||God's Simple Plan|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 0.40 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|