Introduction / History
It is believed that Muslim Koch (sometimes pronounced Cooch) people of India come from an Indo-Aryan background. Little is known about their history.
Where Are they Located?
The Muslim Koch people live in northeastern India and Bangladesh.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Koch people are primarily farmers of their own land. Some work as hired day laborers for neighboring Bengalis. They continue to live primarily in Koch villages in simple homes with mud walls and floors and thatched or corrugated tin roofs.
What Are Their Beliefs?
Muslim Kosh people have little or no communication with Koch Hindus living in northwestern India, but they do share some cultural traits. Koch Muslim people are poor and uneducated.
Though most of the Koch people are Hindu, some are Sunni Muslim. They believe that the One, Supreme God, Allah, spoke through his prophet, Mohammed, and taught mankind how to live a righteous life through the Koran and the Hadith. To live a righteous life, you must utter the Shahada (a statement of faith), pray five times a day facing Mecca, fast from sunup to sundown during the month of Ramadan, give alms to the poor, and make a pilgrimage to Mecca if you have the means. Muslims are prohibited from drinking alcohol, eating pork, gambling, stealing, slandering, and making idols. They gather for corporate prayer on Friday afternoons at a mosque, their place of worship.
What Are Their Needs?
In most of the Muslim world, people depend on the spirit world for their daily needs since they regard Allah as too distant. Allah may determine their eternal salvation, but the spirits determine how well we live in our daily lives. For that reason, they must appease the spirits. The often use charms and amulets to help them with spiritual forces.
Although audio, visual, and written Bible resources are available in Bangali, their spoken language, they remain unreached with the truth of the gospel. Their greatest need is to understand the infinite love of Almighty God for them, and His provisional payment of the penalty for their sins. They need to be set free from sin by the only sin-forgiving savior!
* Scripture Prayers for the Koch (Muslim traditions) in India.
* Pray for families of believers loving and serving others to grow reproducing churches.
* Pray for a chain reaction of Muslim Koch families reaching families that results in thousands of new believers who share their faith with others.
* Pray for grace and truth expanding into the entire Koch society as all believers learn to love others.
* Pray that churches and believers will bless their entire people group in such a way that God’s love will change the Koch community like yeast changes dough.