The Maouri are considered to be a subgroup of the large Hausa people group of western Africa. They speak both the Hausa language and the Zarma (or Djerma) language. The Maouri were colonized by European powers, and their lands were traded back and forth between the French and English under treaties established in 1890 and 1906. The French are said to have been especially brutal in their administration of these colonies. The Maouri established two capitals, in Matankari and Lougou, with religious authority based in Bagaji.
The Maouri are traders and farmers, and have a reputation of being an industrious people.
Some have wrongly assumed that Boko Haram comes from the Hausa because the term itself is from the Hausa language. But Boko Haram is mainly from Kanuri and Fulani as well as other tribes.
They are concentrated around the Maouri valley of the Niger River, extending from Matankari, near Niamey, to Gaya.
The Maouri resisted conversion to Islam during the Fulani jihads of the early 19th century, and have continued to resist the advance of Islam in their region. This in spite of the fact the Hausa people have been strongly Muslim for many years. They are mostly animistic, although there are growing numbers of both Muslims and some Christians.
* Scripture Prayers for the Hausa, Maouri in Niger.
* Please pray the Maouri people will continue to resist the advance of Islam.
* Both the Hausa and Zarma languages have the full Bible available, and there are many good resources available in these languages. Pray for workers to carry these resources to the people.
* Pray the Maouri people will be given a growing dissatisfaction with their interest in fetishes, and will begin to hunger to know the living God through his Son, Jesus Christ. Pray the Lord will open their minds and that the Holy Spirit will fill their minds with Truth; Jesus is Truth.
* Pray for good schools to be available, and for parents to understand the importance of a good education for their children.
|Profile Source: Joshua Project|
|Link Up Africa|
|Region||West and Central Africa|
|Persecution Rank||Not ranked|
|Location in Country||Around the Maouri valley of the Niger River, extending from Matankari, near Niamey, to Gaya Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maouri_people|
Primary Language: Hausa
|Bible Translation ▲||Status (Years)|
|Bible-New Testament||Yes (1880-1965)|
|Possible Print Bibles|
|Forum Bible Agencies|
|National Bible Societies|
|World Bible Finder|
|Resource Type ▲||Resource Name|
|Audio Recordings||Audio Bible teaching (GRN)|
|Audio Recordings||Online New Testament (FCBH)|
|Audio Recordings||Online Scripture (Talking Bibles)|
|Audio Recordings||Story of Jesus audio (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||God's Story Video|
|Film / Video||Jesus Film: view in Hausa|
|Film / Video||Magdalena (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||Mohammed (Indigitube.tv)|
|Film / Video||My Last Day (Jesus Film Project Anime)|
|Film / Video||Story of Jesus for Children (JF Project)|
|Film / Video||Walk with Jesus (Africa, JF Project)|
|General||Four Spiritual Laws|
|General||Got Questions Ministry|
|Text / Printed Matter||Bible: Hausa Bible|
|Text / Printed Matter||Father's Love Letter|
|Text / Printed Matter||OneHope resources for children and youth|
|Text / Printed Matter||World Missionary Press Booklets|
|Primary Religion:||Ethnic Religions|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 1.50 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|