"Then they will rebuild the ancient ruins; they will raise up the former devastations, and they will repair the ruined cities—the desolations of many generations." Look at pictures of Khvarshin villages high in the southwest mountains of Dagestan, and these words of hope, out of Isaiah, speak volumes.
From 1944-1957 the ancestors of the Khvarshin were forced out of their mountain homeland region and resettled by the Soviets into lowland Chechnya. Only in the late 1950's were they allowed to return to Dagestan; in years following some returned to their abandoned mountain villages and some settled in the northern lowlands of Dagestan.
In current pictures of Khvarshi mountain villages, you see rebuilt, repaired houses standing alongside still-visible ancient ruins. The approximately 4000 Khvarshin people of Dagestan speak their own distinct Khvarshi language, and are located in eight mountain villages and in several lowland settlements in northern Dagestan. For centuries they have followed Sunni Islam mixed with folk superstitious practices. Life is hard for the Khvarshi. Hope is needed.
Pray that bridges of relationship and friendship will be built so that Khvarshi can begin to grasp that "times of refreshing can come from the presence of the Lord"(Acts 3). In Jesus, God is not far distant—and as a loving Father He will gladly give His Spirit to those who ask (Luke 11).
2017 Joyful Update! – Spring of 2017 the 1st Khvarshi person has come to receive the refreshing grace of Jesus and the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit!!--in a northern Dagestani lowland region. Pray grace and encouragement to him!
* Scripture Prayers for the Khvarshin in Russia.
* Pray that true friends representing God's grace will come to the Khvarshi, honoring their unique language and culture.
* Pray that, across these bridges of friendship, grace will flow; and times of refreshing will come spiritually, emotionally, economically to the Khvarshin people—per the promise of Isaiah 61:4.
* Pray that the Word of God will be infused into Khvarshi culture by creative linguistic efforts, and find its way into receptive Khvarshi hearts.
* 2017 UPDATE!--in early 2017 a new, small effort is underway to translate The Lord's Prayer into Khvarshi! Pray for this effort. Luke 18:1-8
|Profile Source: Anonymous|
|Expanded PDF Profile|
|Global Prayer Digest: 2009-03-17|
|Global Prayer Digest: 2010-03-25|
|Global Prayer Digest: 2014-03-14|
|Global Prayer Digest: 2017-03-07|
|People Name General||Khvarshin|
|People Name in Country||Khvarshin|
|Population this Country||4,200|
|Population all Countries||4,200|
|Progress Scale||1 ●|
|Frontier People Group||Yes|
|GSEC||1 (per PeopleGroups.org)|
|Pioneer Workers Needed||1|
|Alternate Names||Khvarshi; Khwarshi|
|Region||Europe, Eastern and Eurasia|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||Not ranked|
|Location in Country||Dagestan Republic: Tsumadinsky district, Khvarshi, Inkhokvari, Santlada, Kvantlada, and Khonokh villages. Source: Ethnologue 2016|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 0.02 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|