The Gwa people exceled as hunters, but now they are more likely to be farmers.
The Gwa people group are located in Saminaka Gwa, a village in Toro local government of Bauchi State. To get to this community from Jos, move to Magama along Bauchi road, from Magma to Ganjole, from Ganjole to Saminaka Gwa (Old and New).
They formerly settled in a location which was at a distance to the present Gwa village. Because they are hunters, they go to the interior forest to hunt. After killing the animals, they encountered the challenge of moving the carcass to their settlement where they would sell the meat. They established the habit of preparing it and cutting it up for easy carriage. Eventually they established a new village near where they hunt. Since the land is also fertile, they engaged in farming as well. Hausa culture is gradually dominating the Gwa culture.
It should be noted that the Gwa people group had their own native religion in the past. Now they blend that with Islam, resulting in folk Islamic beliefs. Officially they are Muslims, but their daily lives are dominated by the same gods that they worshipped before the arrival of Islam.
Reach the Rest has mobilized ECWA church to the field and that has given many Gwa people the opportunity to hear the gospel for the first time. The Gwa need workers, as well as hearts that are open to the life-giving gospel.
* Scripture Prayers for the Gwa in Nigeria.
* Pray for the Gwa culture to be renewed and enhanced by a work of the Holy Spirit and shaped into a God-centered and God-honoring mold.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to move among Gwa family and community leaders to seek His face and enjoy His blessings.
* Pray for the Lord to thrust out workers who will be compelled to nurture a disciple making movement among the Gwa people.
* Pray that soon the Gwa people will have faith that will lead them to live honorable lives that will draw others to the Savior.
Information submitted by African missionaries among the Gwa people.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|People Name General||Gwa|
|People Name in Country||Gwa|
|Population this Country||1,600|
|Population all Countries||1,600|
|Progress Scale||1 ●|
|Frontier People Group||No|
|GSEC||1 (per PeopleGroups.org)|
|Pioneer Workers Needed||1|
|Alternate Names||Mbato; M'batto; Mgbatto; Potu|
|Region||Africa, West and Central|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||9 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Location in Country||Bauchi state: Toro LGA. Source: Ethnologue 2016|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 0.50 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|