Introduction / History
According to ancient Hindu texts called the Puranas, Kayasthas are descended from the Hindu god Chitragupta, who is charged with recording the deeds of humanity, determining if they are following the rules, and judging whether each person will go to heaven or hell when they die.
Where Are they Located?
Throughout India's long history, Kayasthas have been prestigious record-keepers, often for royalty.
Kayasthas mostly live in the Indian states of West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, and Delhi. Kayasthas also migrated to various other parts of India. Most of the Kayasthas who shifted to Hyderabad from Delhi and Uttar Pradesh in the middle of the eighteenth century got employment in the court of the hereditary ruler, or Nizam. A smaller number now live in Nepal, and an even smaller number are in Bhutan.
What Are Their Lives Like?
With the passing of time, the Kayasthas have surged ahead. They have broken new grounds in vocations other than those relating to writing and record-keeping, and excelled in them. They have excelled in the areas of government, academics, science, music, and entertainment. Most likely the few who live in Bhutan are doing well in these same areas.
What Are Their Beliefs?
Kayasthas are forward (prestigious) caste Hindus. Such people are often more philosophical than other Hindus, though they usually have their favorite gods that they worship.
What Are Their Needs?
Kayasthas in Bhutan are forward caste Hindus who live in a Tibetan Buddhist part of the world. They probably have few if any chances to hear that Jesus Christ is the one we will answer to when we die.
* Scripture Prayers for the Kayastha (Hindu traditions) in Bhutan.
* Pray that the Kayasthas will recognize that the risen Jesus Christ is the loving leader who came to provide life to the fullest for all people.
* Pray that many Kayasthas in Bhutan will submit their lives to Christ and use their influence to bring justice and peace to South Asia.
* Pray that thousands of Kayasthas will put their hope and trust in him alone.
* Pray that there will soon be a massive disciple making movement in Bhutan and India among the prestigious Kayasthas.