The Chelkans live in the Republic of Altai within the Russian Federation.
Traditional religion of indigenous peoples of Altai is paganism. During the 50-70s of the 18th century Christianity began to spread among them. Christianity was especially active in the second half of 19th century. According to the Population Census of 1897, 34.5% of indigenous people were orthodox. At the beginning of the 20th century there began to extend Burkhanism (from "Burkhan," the name of the spirit of the Altai Mountains), it's a form of Lamaism with elements of Shamanism. And even after accepting Christianity, indigenous peoples continue to worship rivers, mountains, lakes.
* Scripture Prayers for the Chelkans in Russia.
* Pray that Russian Bibles will be placed in the hands of the Chelkan who understand the Russian language.
* Ask the Lord to bring forth a triumphant Chelkan church for the glory of His name!
* Pray that the Lord of the harvest will send loving Christians who are willing to live and serve among the Chelkan peoples.
* Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language.
* Pray that the Chelkans' fear of the spirits and mountain gods will be replaced by a love and fear of the one true God.
|Profile Source: Anonymous|
|Global Prayer Digest: 2011-03-22|
|Region||Europe, Eastern and Eurasia|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||Not ranked|
|Location in Country||Altay, Altayskiy Kray, and Khakasiya; Gorno-Altai Ao mountains, along Mongolia and China border. Source: Ethnologue 2016|
|Primary Language||Altai, Northern (1,200 speakers)|
|Language Code||atv Ethnologue Listing|
|Language Written||Yes ScriptSource Listing|
Primary Language: Altai, Northern
|Bible Translation ▲||Status (Years)|
|Possible Print Bibles|
|Forum Bible Agencies|
|National Bible Societies|
|World Bible Finder|
|Resource Type ▲||Resource Name|
|Text / Printed Matter||Online Bible text (Scripture Earth)|
|Primary Religion:||Ethnic Religions|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 0.00 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|