Introduction / History
The Assamese primarily inhabit the state of Assam, which is located in northeastern India. However, some Assamese can also be found in Bhutan.
Although Bhutan is predominantly Buddhist, most of the Assamese living there are Hindus. Hindus worship millions of gods, including the "creator god" and the "god of destruction." Animals as well as humans are believed to have souls. Cows are sacred, but animals such as snakes and monkeys are also revered.
Hindus believe among other things that horoscopes and astrology can determine a person's fate. They use these methods to choose the right mate, to select an occupation, and to calculate a person's time of death. Another important teaching is that the soul never dies. They believe that when the body dies the soul is reborn, or reincarnated, as either an animal or a human. Religious rituals are constantly practiced to ensure the next life will be better than the present one. Prayers are recited upon waking; baths are usually taken before meals; certain foods are only eaten on particular dishes; and different garments are worn while eating and sleeping.
Hindus are divided into social classes known as castes. Generally, those belonging to the lower castes are poor, while those in the upper castes are educated and wealthy.
What Are Their Needs?
Proper health care, nutrition, and education are needed; but most importantly, the Assamese need Jesus. Both the Jesus film and the Bible are available in the Assamese language.
* Ask God to raise up prayer teams who will break up the soil through worship and intercession.
* Ask God to grant wisdom and favor to the missions agencies focusing on the Assamese.
* Pray for effectiveness of the Jesus film as it is used among the Assamese.
* Ask God to anoint the Gospel as it goes forth via radio in the Assamese language.
* Pray that the Holy Spirit will create a hunger in the hearts of the Assamese to know the one true God.
* Ask God to encourage, and protect the handful of Assamese believers.
* Pray that God will protect the Assamese from the destructive floods and cyclones that occur in the regions where they live.
* Ask the Lord to raise strong local churches among the Assamese.
|Profile Source: Bethany World Prayer Center|