Send Joshua Project a photo
of this people group.
Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|Primary Religion:||Ethnic Religions|
|Christian Adherents:||5.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|Affinity Bloc:||Sub-Saharan Peoples|
The Ukwa are closely related to the Efik people of South-South Nigeria. This is responsible for the widely spoken Efik language above the Ukwa. However, in their community, Ukwa language is still spoken. There are no gospel resources in Ukwa though; gospel materials in Efik and English language are often used to engage the people.
The Ukwa people are mostly concentrated in Odukpani Local Government Area in Cross-River State of south region of Nigeria. They occupy the middle ground between the Efik and the Igbo.
The Ukwa are a farming community and some engage in petty trading and businesses.
The Ukwa people are reached with the gospel. However, syncretic practices are common. Most Ukwa still practice folk or ethnic religion. The lingering crisis with their Igbo neigbours has also encouraged fetish practices and usage of charm.
The Ukwa people need peace in their communities. Much more, they need to come into strong discipleship relationship thereby forsaking all to believe in the provision of the cross to save them and also keep them from every scheme of the enemy. They need modern medical care and good schools that will help the next generation to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
The Ukwa people need the blessings of the Risen Christ, who has conquered death, and will give them abundant life if they are willing to accept His guidance. They need the gift of faith in Jesus Christ, who alone is the judge of all mankind, and will separate the sheep from the goats on Judgment Day.
* Pray for workers to go to the Ukwa people, and for their hearts to be ready to receive their savior.
* Pray for networks of believing Ukwa families and fellowships that will throw the doors open for others to follow Jesus.
* Pray for the Lord to bless the families among the Ukwa people with His presence and mercy.
* Pray for believers among this people group to disciple others who will disciple still others.
* Pray for Bible believing, growing churches among the Ukwa people.