Send Joshua Project a photo
of this people group.
Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|Christian Adherents:||0.46 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Buddhist|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
Caste is something that we normally expect from the Hindu peoples like the Tamils. For Hindu communities, caste has its roots in ancient religious beliefs. For Buddhist peoples, there is a more subtle caste system that originated with the ruling elite. It was a way for them to protect their status, much like the guardians of the Europe’s feudal system.
One of the communities that is on the lower end of the Buddhist caste system is the Kunnara people. These people were traditionally mat weavers. The migrated from Sri Lanka from southern India, probably hundreds of years ago.
All of the Kinnara people now live in Sri Lanka where they have a small population.
Though many of the Kinnara people still weave mats, there are many who are agricultural workers.
The Kinnara people are Buddhists. Buddhists do not have a personal, living god they worship, but they believe in spiritual forces which determine what happens to us in this life and the life to come. They believe that life is subject to suffering and uncertainty. Our existence is eternal, because we are reincarnated into another living being after death. We can eventually reach nirvana, a perfect state of bliss through meditation, wisdom and high morality.
The Kinnara people need the chance to put their identity in Jesus Christ.
* Pray for workers to go to the Kinnara people of Sri Lanka, and for their hearts to be ready to receive their savior.
* Pray for networks of believing families and fellowships that will throw the doors open for others to follow Jesus.
* Pray for the Lord to bless the families among the Kinnara people with his presence and mercy.
* Pray for believers among this people group to disciple others who will disciple still others.
* Pray for Bible believing fellowships and churches among the Kinnara people.