Photo Source: Copyrighted © 2020
Michael E All rights reserved. Used with permission
Map Source: People Group Location: Omid. Other geography / data: GMI. Map Design: Joshua Project
|People Name:||Merat (Hindu traditions)|
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Hindu - other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
Merat Hindu people of India are Rajputs. They are also called Merat-Kathat. They are said to have descended from Rao Meraji Chauhan who had two sons who were recognized in the army for their bravery.
They live in Rajasthan.
They speak in Marwari with one another, also Urdu and Hindi. They have village elders who judge in community matters and they give fines to those found guilty.
Merat people are farmers, but they do not have large pieces of land. Many others work as laborers.
Merat people marry outside their group.
The Merat read and write in Devanagari. They are not vegetarians, wheat is a main cereal, and they enjoy dairy products and tea. They do not eat beef and pork. The men sometimes drink alcohol and chew Betel leaves. They have special foods for festivals.
Some Merat people practice the Hindu religion, and others Sunni Islam. This is a source of much confusion in not only religious practices, but family dynamics.
Adequate visual, audio, and written Christian resources are available in the Hindi and Urdu languages, which Merat people speak, but they are still an unreached people group.
Their most important need is to understand that their good works and worship of false gods will never pay the penalty for their sins, and that Almighty Creator God has made the provision for them.
* Pray that Merat people will see that their old systems of ethics and religion are not working, and that their only hope is in Jesus Christ.
* Pray that intercessors worldwide will regularly pray for salvation of Merat people.
* Pray for workers to disciple them.
* Pray that many Merat people will disciple others until this people group know that Jesus Christ is Lord.
* Ask Almighty God to raise up entire families and communities until their culture is transformed to fully glorify God, and represent His Kingdom here on earth.