Send Joshua Project a photo
of this people group.
Map Source: People Group Location: Omid. Other geography / data: GMI. Map Design: Joshua Project
|Christian Adherents:||3.13 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Hindu - other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
Lohara people are a respected tribe similar in culture and tradition to the other tribes who live near them. The name "Lohara" is is derived from the word "loha" meaning iron. They were traditionally blacksmiths. The tribal population is made of several different castes.
Lohara people are prominent in the central eastern states of West Bengal and Jharkhand.
Loharas are skilled in the craft of making iron, and they are noted for making first class iron products. Today many of them are involved in other types of work. They weave baskets and carve using special tools. Some are shepherds, many breed cattle, others work in agriculture. The houses they live in are very artistic in design.
Lohara people participate in festivals, arts, dancing, music, and rituals. They enjoy singing and dancing. Men and women dance and sing, wearing their traditional clothes. They create art work from hand-loomed weaving tools and wall paintings which are displayed during festival times.
They speak in the same language as other nearby tribes, which is Hindi. Bible resources exist in Hindi, yet Lohara people remain unreached.
Lohara people celebrate many festivals worshiping folk gods. Some are observed at home and others in the community. They have many social ceremonies and rituals regarding nature. They worship to please, and to be blessed by their gods.
These unusually creative people need to ask the questions, "Who created what we see?" and "What was the origin of our creativity?" Someone needs to reach out to Lohara people with Bible resources in the Hindi language which they understand.
* Pray for God's blessing, strengthening and healing of famlies and communities within the Lohara people through the abundant life and love Jesus offers to all nations.
* Pray for deliverance from the fear that hinders God's blessing from multiplying through the families and commnities in Lohara communities.
* Pray that spiritual barriers will be broken and that they will turn their hearts to Jesus.
* Pray that God's people will make long-lasting, intention contact with Lohara people that will result in many disciples reaching their own people.
* Pray for the Lord to multiply the reception and influence of His Word among Lohara people leading them to love Him with their whole being.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to anoint Lohara families, especially the children and youth, and to raise up a new generation of fruitful, multiplying witnesses of Christ's mercy and love.