Photo Source: Copyrighted © 2020
Anonymous All rights reserved. Used with permission
Map Source: People Group Location: Omid. Other geography / data: GMI. Map Design: Joshua Project
|Christian Adherents:||2.39 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Hindu - Other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
The Kamis are Nepalis resident in West Bengal, India. They are a rural people known for metal working. They are divided into two groups: black smiths and gold, silver, and copper smiths. They supplement smithing with agricultural work. About a third are literate in Nepali. Many are bilingual, also speaking Hindi. The Kamis are also found in southern Sikkim, mostly in rural areas. In those areas, they engage in agriculture. Others serve as curers, who favor traditional medicines over the use of modern medicine.
As a rule, Kamis are Hindus. They worship different Hindu deities, and they go on pilgrimage to Hindu sacred sites in Darjeeling, a region of West Bengal. Some have converted to Buddhism, and other religions, as well as Christianity, probably to be free of discrimination.
* Pray for the Christian Kamis to be more forthright in sharing their faith.
* Pray for more openness to modern medicine and that such openness will lead to increased contacts with Christian physicians and health care providers.
* Pray for increased literacy and access to Scripture in their languages; and for The Jesus Film to be shown in their communities.
* Pray for churches to adopt the Kamis.
* Pray that they forsake idolatry and for Satan's grip on them to fail.