Photo Source: Jacob Saesee
Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|People Name:||Lahu Shi|
|Primary Language:||Lahu Shi|
|Christian Adherents:||10.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||Tibeto-Burman, other|
|Affinity Bloc:||Tibetan-Himalayan Peoples|
More than 3,000 Yellow Lahu inhabit at least 16 villages of northern Laos. They are dispersed in the Long, Viangphouka and Luang Namtha districts of Luang Namtha Province, and the Meung and Tonpheung districts of Bokeo Province.
In addition, there are many Yellow Lahu in China and about 30,000 Kucong in China who are related distantly to the Yellow Lahu. Also 10,000 Yellow Lahu in northern Myanmar, others in Thailand, Vietnam, and Visalia, California.
The Yellow Lahu language is very different from standard Black Lahu, or Lahu Na, and also is distinct from Lahu Aga.
Between the 14th and 19th centuries the Lahu in China had strong leadership in their wars of resistance against Han and Tai rulers. Not until an irretrievable defeat in 1799 did they begin to collapse. This defeat caused the Lahu to flee into the mountains and they fragmented as a people from that point on. The Lahu Na claim to be "pure Lahu" and express contempt for the Yellow Lahu for having surrendered to the Qing army in the combat of the last century.
The Yellow Lahu along with Lahu Aga and White Lahu are some of the more primitive groups in Laos. They survive by hunting, and foraging for food in the forests.
There are a small number of believers among the Yellow Lahu in Laos.
* Pray God would reveal Himself as a loving Father to the downtrodden and depressed Yellow Lahu.
* Ask God to send Lahu Christians to plant healthy churches among the Yellow Lahu not dependent upon salaries from abroad.
* Pray the Yellow Lahu of Laos would soon worship the Living God in great numbers.
* Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language.
* Pray for the availability of the Jesus Film in the primary language of this people