Photo Source: Copyrighted © 2021
MarosMatousek / Shutterstock All rights reserved. Used with permission
Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|Affinity Bloc:||Horn of Africa Peoples|
Ancient pyramids, mausoleums, ruined cities, and stone walls found in Somalia are evidence of an ancient sophisticated civilization that once thrived in the Somali peninsula. Archaeological excavations and research in Somalia show that this civilization enjoyed a lucrative trading relationship with Ancient Egypt and Mycenaean Greece, since 2000BC.
Somalia has a war-torn history to this day. The people have suffered beyond words, and many are doing whatever they can to go to New Zealand or anywhere else that is safe. Somalis began to arrive in New Zealand in the 1990s. They were the first black Africans to arrive in New Zealand.
The Somalis have a community in Hamilton, New Zealand.
Many Somalis are still adjusting to life in New Zealand. The local people are often hostile towards outsiders like the Somalis whom they think might take their jobs. There is a cultural gap between the Sunni Muslim Somalis and the secularized New Zealanders.
Somalis are almost entirely Sunni Muslim whether they live in Somalia or New Zealand. Islam is central to their cultural identity.
The Somalis in New Zealand need to learn language and job skills that will prepare them for the new urban high-tech culture.
* Ask the Lord to raise up Christian teachers in New Zealand who will work among the Somalis and share Christ's love with them.
* Pray that God will raise up prayer teams to go and break up the soil through worship and intercession.
* Pray for God to raise up mission agencies in New Zealand to focus on the Somali.
* Pray for effectiveness of the JESUS Film among them.
* Ask the Holy Spirit to soften their hearts towards believers so that they will be receptive to their message.
* Ask the Lord to raise up strong local churches among the Somalis in New Zealand that will take His ways to Somalia.