Photo Source: Anonymous
Map Source: People Group Location: Omid. Other geography / data: GMI. Map Design: Joshua Project
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Muslim - other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
The Moghal people mainly speak Urdu and are believed to have originated in Mongolia.
The Moghals or Mughals have two main divisions; the Moghal of Persian and the Indian descent. Both are of relatively high social status as people from the conquering Muslim kingdoms.
The Muslim Moghal people have high populations in India and Pakistan. There are smaller communities in Nepal, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka.
The Moghal people tend to marry within their own tribes and prefer cross cousin marriages. They follow the same marriage rules as other Muslims living near them. Both sons and daughters receive an inheritance based on the laws of the Quran. They used to be known as soldiers in some places, however today, they are mostly farmers.
The Moghals have often served in government and public service positions. They primarily speak Nepali with others and Urdu among themselves. The Moghal families tend to only marry within their own cousin clans and give their daughters only to a select group of Muslim communities. Rings on finger, nose, toe or ear and wearing bangles are all part of identification of married women. Both sons and daughters receive inheritance. Common surnames among these communities are Mirza and Beg.
The Moghals are divided into both Shi 'ite and Sunni sects of Islam. They celebrate all Muslim festivals with great enthusiasm and devotion.
The Moghals in Sri Lanka are prominent Muslims in a country dominated by Buddhists and Hindus. They need to put their trust in Jesus Christ, not in their social position.
* Pray for workers to go to the Moghal people in Sri Lanka, and for their hearts to be ready to receive their savior.
* Pray for networks of believing families and fellowships that will throw the doors open for others to follow Jesus.
* Pray for the Lord to bless the families among the Moghal people in Sri Lanka with his presence and mercy.
* Pray for believers among this people group to disciple others who will disciple still others.
* Pray for Bible believing fellowships and churches among the Moghal people.