Photo Source: Anonymous
Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|People Name:||Daba, Daba Kola|
|Primary Religion:||Ethnic Religions|
|Christian Adherents:||5.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|Affinity Bloc:||Sub-Saharan Peoples|
The Daba Kola are a rural, farming people in Nigeria and Cameroon. The large majority of the Daba are found in Cameroon while a smaller group lives across the border in northeastern Nigeria. The Daba speak their language of Daba. A New Testament became available in Daba in 2015. The JESUS Film is also available for the many Daba who are unable to read.
A few of the Daba people reside in Nigeria specifically in Mubi Local Government Area, Adamawa State. They retain most of the practices of their larger tribal family in Cameroon.
The Daba are subsistence farmers. They grow maize, yams, beans, melons, rice, millet, and vegetables. They grow peanuts, kola nuts and palm oil as cash crops to buy things they cannot make for themselves such cell phones, farm equipment and tools. Families raise goats and cattle for milk, meat and hides.
Most people groups in rural Nigeria like the Daba Kola enjoy music, storytelling and dance as a form of entertainment and communication. These art forms are very meaningful in rural Nigeria. Those who want to take the gospel to the Daba Kola people should find ways to communicate using these art forms.
The Daba people of Nigeria are largely animists. They depend on the spirit world for their daily needs. They believe the spirits determine how well they live in their daily lives. For that reason, they think they must appease these spirits. They often use charms, amulets, offering and prayers to help them deal with spiritual forces. Village shamans connect the Daba with the spirit world.
The Daba Kola people need abundant rain for their crops and their livestock so they can live lives free of want and poverty. They need modern medical care. Their children need good schools that will help the next generation to thrive in a rapidly changing world. The adults would benefit by literacy programs and new job skills. Solar panels can charge cell phones and run appliances.
The Daba Kola people need to hear and understand the message of Jesus Christ. He alone can forgive their sins and free them from their fear of evil spirits.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to give the Daba Kola people teachable and understanding hearts.
* Pray that a strong movement of the Holy Spirit will bring entire Daba Kola families into a rich experience of God's blessing.
* Pray for the Daba Kola culture to be renewed and enhanced by a work of the Holy Spirit and shaped into a God-centered and God-honoring mold.
* Pray for the Lord to thrust out workers who will be compelled to nurture a disciple making movement among the Daba Kola people.
* Pray for Daba Kola families to be drawn by the Holy Spirit to seek forgiveness through Christ alone, and to understand the adequacy of Christ's work on the cross.