Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|People Name:||Arab, Omani|
|Primary Language:||Arabic, Omani Spoken|
|Christian Adherents:||3.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||Arab, Arabian|
|Affinity Bloc:||Arab World|
The Omani Arabs are believed to have lived in the Persian Gulf region for thousands of years. Most Omani Arabs live in Oman but many live in Yemen, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. Until 1964 the island of Zanzibar was under the leadership of an Omani family. After a revolution many Omani returned to Oman.
Great Britain has had much influence in Oman ever since the 18th century. They gained this influence by having close relations with Oman's ruling elite. Today there are a small number of Omanis in the UK.
The Omani Arabs in the UK live in and around London.
Most of the Omanis in the UK are believed to be laborers or businessmen.
Between 50 to75 percent of Omanis are Ibdadi Muslims. This sect dates back to time before the split between the Sunnis and Shi 'ites. They believe in sharia law but have the reputation for being more tolerant of Christians and Jews if they are not converts from Islam. They elect their leaders which is contrary to the hereditary practices of Sunnis and Shi 'ites.
More information is needed on the Omani Arabs who live in the UK. We need to have information on their numbers, locations, and modes of living in the UK.
There is probably a small group of Omanis who have come to Christ. These believers need to be nurtured and encouraged to reach their people living in the UK and elsewhere.
* Pray that God will provide contacts, strategies, and wisdom for any mission agencies that are currently focusing on the Omani Arabs of Oman.
* Ask the Lord to strengthen, encourage, and protect the Omani Arab believers in the UK.
* Pray that God will give these believers opportunities to share the love of Christ with their own people.
* Ask God to raise up prayer teams who will begin to break up the soil through worship and intercession.
* Pray that strong local churches will be planted among the Omani Arabs in the UK that will spread back to Oman itself.