Southern Luri in Iran
The Southern Luri people live in a place that was probably inhabited for thousands of years. The first written mention of the Luris was in the 10th century. History shows that their nomadism was originally a defense mechanism in order to avoid contact with outside powers and their invasions. In order to preserve themselves and their lifestyle, the Luris found it necessary to keep moving. Outside powers, like the Shahs of Iran, have been able to conquer the various Luri subgroups individually.
As the Mohammed Reza Shah consolidated his power over various parts of Iran, the Luri people suffered. They lost their semi-independent status, and their ability to move with their livestock. When oil was discovered in Luri territory, they were not given the profits from the oil; that money went to the elite in Tehran. This shah also deprived the Luri people of higher education.
Iran is a highly closed country, but the Shi'ite Muslim based government is making themselves so odious to the people that they are looking for other answers. Though there are few opportunities to find Christian materials, believers are active in spreading their faith, according to the 2014 book, Too Many to Jail.
We do not know if the rapid growth of the church in Iran is affecting minority groups like the Southern Luris, but we can pray for the Persian majority to reach out to them.
The Southern Luris write beautiful poetry and music. Believers can learn their writing and musical style and present the gospel to them in a way that will touch their hearts.
Pray for the followers of Christ
There are no followers of Christ among the Southern Luris that we know of, so pray for a people movement to Him in the coming years.
Pray for the entire people group
* Pray for Iranian believers to make sure the Southern Luri people have the chance to hear the story of His glory.
* Pray for a movement to Christ among the Southern Luri people.
* Pray that the Lord will bring about a new hunger for spiritual truth among the Southern Luris.
* Pray that the shortcomings of Islam will become obvious to them, and that a large number of Luris will embrace the Lord.
* Pray that soon they will have easy access to gospel recordings and radio broadcasts that will point them to the Good Shepherd.
"Let the nations be glad and sing for joy; For You will judge the peoples with uprightness and guide the nations on the earth." Psalm 67:4
|Online Audio NT:
||Few, less than 2%
Presented by Joshua Project