Profile Source: Anonymous
Where are they Located?
The Yukaghir live in Sakha and Chukotka, Russia.
What are Their Lives Like?
The Yukaghir are a indigenous people group who, like the Nivkh, are known as the reindeer people. The main traditional activity is nomadic and semi-nomadic hunting of deer, moose, wild sheep, and sable, as well as fishing. Reindeer are bred mostly for transportation. Over the years with the decline of their traditional economic activities, the dismal environmental situation of their lands and the decrease in the population of the Yukaghir people, the Yukaghir people and their language are close to being obsolete.
What are Their Beliefs?
The Yukaghir still practice shamanism, and animal worship, particularly the bear. They believe the spirits can act as protectors and as enemies of people.
* Pray for the Yukaghir's hearts to be hungry for Truth and to be searching for the One True Living God.
* Pray for messengers to go to the Yukaghir and to present the Gospel in their heart language and that they would present not only with words which can be understood, but with their very lives.
* Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language.
* Pray for Gospel messages to become available in audio format for this people group.
* Pray that God will preserve the Yukaghir people; not only their culture and language, but also their spiritual lives.