Introduction / History
This is a people very proud of their unique culture and language. However, they are quite hospitable to foreigners and are by and large fairly knowledgable in the Russian or Tajik languages.
Where are they located?
The vast majority live in one city: Ishkashim. This is in high elevation at the southern tip of Tajikistan on the Afghanistan border on the west end of the Wakhan Valley.
What are their lives like?
Their lives are largely agrarian; although some have other jobs in the city. Many of the men seek employment by traveling to Russia. The women dress very modestly with long dresses and head scarves. They live in clay-block houses and drink much tea. For breakfast they may have bread in a bowl of tea-milk with butter.
What are their beliefs?
Islam mixed with Zoroastrianism and other traditional beliefs is the basis of their religion. All of their beliefs, however, they would claim are a part of Muslim culture. Secular humanism greatly affects many of them from the media.
What are their needs?
Their greatest need is for God-honoring messengers to bring them the gospel.
* Pray for people to be willing to establish churches there.
* Pray for the people to come to an understanding of the gospel.
* Pray for the believers to not be resisted by political or spiritual persecution.
* Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language.
* Pray for the availability of the Jesus Film in the primary language of this people.
* Pray for Gospel messages to become available in audio format for this people group.
Text source: Anonymous
View Sanglechi, Eshkashimi in all countries.